Would you like to submit yours?
Lemadang (Coryphaena Hippurus)
Dorado, Dolphinfish, Mahi Mahi – Coryphaena hippurus. Common Names: This fish is called by a number of names: dorado (West Coast SoCal and Mexico); dolphinfish (East Coast and much of U.S.); mahi mahi (Hawaii), and shiira (Japan).
Identifying Characteristics and Biology
- The dorado is brilliantly colored. When seen in the water, iridescent colors of blues, greens and yellows are present, and almost appear to be neon or electric in color.
- They are spotted with blue/green/black combinations all over the body.
- Deeply forked tail is typically yellow.
- The dorado’s body is very slender, and a blunt, flat head signifies it is a male.
- This species of fish is a very fast growing fish, typically living up to 4 years and growing up to 7 feet long